How To Deal With TrollsOctober 21, 2011
SkaDate Dating Software vs White Label Dating SolutionsJanuary 17, 2012
SkaDate Dating Software is widely used to build online dating communities all across the globe. Thus it’s only natural that beginning site owners need to take a closer look at dating expectations in different cultures while starting online dating business. A guest post by Mary Edwards of Best Dating Sites explores the issue.
Online dating is a world-wide phenomenon. In almost every country there’s a dating website popping up, promising to find true love, or at least first dates, for its clientele. But there are a few things to watch out for when you mix cultures so diverse and eclectic. Here are a few things to watch out for in cross-cultural online matchmaking.
- Expectations – Some cultures expect the man to make the first move. Some cultures are okay with the woman introducing herself. Other cultures think women who take the initiative are pushy and unreasonable. Know what you’re getting into before you contact a person from a different culture. A little research into historical standards might not be unreasonable. Even if the culture says certain things are taboo, there’s always ways around it. Just take some time and be careful.
- Flirting – Dating is a minefield at the best of times, but when you mix cultures, it can be a ractical suicide mission. Flirting varies wildly. Where a simple, strong statement of intent might go over well with Italians, you might scare off Canadians. Other flirting is less obvious and may go unnoticed by people from bolder cultures. Adjust your flirt level according to the culture of your perspective date.
- Language – This might seem obvious, but you do want to talk to your date, right? With the proliferation of web translators, you might be shocked when you meet in person. Make sure you have some way of communicating offline as well or you’ll run into an insurmountable obstacle.
- Meeting – Speaking of meeting, cultures have different expectations. Some are okay with never meeting in person until the wedding; others want to go out for coffee after the first message. Be aware of the norms and be prepared to be flexible yourself.
- Double Standards – Be careful when you do research. Many cultures have double standards, i.e. a woman is expected to act one way and a man another. Be sure you know who does what before you get too deep.
There are many pitfalls to watch out for in cross-cultural online dating. The web has allowed us to overcome many borders, and cross-cultural dating is just another obstacle to overwhelm. Be sure you know who you are and what you’re looking for and you’ll be fine.
Mary Edwards is one of the contributors and editors for dating websites. She is passionate about thought leadership writing, regularly contributes to various career, social media, public relations, branding, and parenting and online dating community. She can be reached at email@example.com.
Explore the specifics of dating in Asia in this article.